Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My favorite holiday is Christmas because my entire family visits to my grandmother and have dinner with her, but I think this holiday is similar in several countries, for that reason I write of a typical holiday in Mexico. The typical holiday celebrated in Mexico is the day of the dead (El Día de los Muertos). The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died.  According to the belief of the ancient Mexican civilization, when the individual dies his spirit continues to live up to the day, designated by custom, in returning to their former homes to visit relatives. We must delight and leave satisfied with everything that is his greatest pleasure and astonishment: the food. The celebration occurs on the 2nd of November, in connection with the Catholic holy days of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day. Traditions include building private altars honoring the deceased, using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed, and visiting with these serious as gifts. In the schools the student built altars to honor a person of their choice (famous person), and each student will research what food he or she liked and brought to the altar. This is a typical holiday in Mexico and is very different than other holidays!







5 comments:

  1. OMG forget the title! SORRY JEFF!

    The Typical Holiday in Mexico: The Day of the Dead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alma: you can edit your post later to add a title; just click on the little pencil.

    Corrections: "...my entire family visits my grandmother and has dinner with her." Also, please use your own words when you are writing your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice pictures ..

    I hope I can visit your country and see these pictures in fact ..

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the food in these pictures in fact so delicious.

    ReplyDelete